This hands-on Digital Security Workshop explains the electronic policies that threaten your online privacy and activism, and will walk you through some simple tools and techniques to help protect yourself. Bring your fully-charged laptop and cellphone.
Cyber activist Jeff Landale will facilitate the workshop. He is a privacy researcher and organizer at X-Lab at Penn State University who believes that everyone should have privacy and online security without having to change their lifestyle, learn how to code, or wear a tin foil hat.
Huge new developments on the mass surveillance front, including:
* Recent changes to the rules governing our internet service providers
* Trump Admin attempts to force twitter to reveal the identity of a dissident twitter account
* Searches of devices at the border
* Demands for social media identifiers
* Upcoming reauthorization of Upstream and PRISM.
How to identify and prioritize potential threats so you can make informed decisions about online activities and activism.
Easy steps to mitigate risks
Encryption for phones and computers, adblockers, Virtual Private Networks, Signal, and strong passwords you don’t even have to remember.
The Nora School is only one block from the MoCo parking ramp on Fenton off of Sligo (but you can just cut through the alley to the school).